Plants’ Defense Mechanism
Plants are probably the only living thing that can’t protect themselves by either walking or run away when faced with danger. However, they are capable of hiding themselves from anyone who is trying to harm them in any way, including humans, insects, and other varieties of animals. In light of this, plants have developed new ways of defending themselves from herbivores: proteins called lectins.
Since plants are not able to move freely like humans and animals, they can’t walk or run away when they are attacked. Over the years, plants have developed special ways of protecting themselves against both internal and external attacks. Lectin is a special type of protein found in plants that are produced to protect them from predators. This protein is harmful to both humans and animals. Unfortunately, a good number of the foods that we eat contain this tiny chemical. Also, some of the health problems that we experience are caused by this plant protein, including diarrhea, vomiting, and nausea.
Effects of Lectin on Your Body
These plant proteins are known to attack useful glucose molecules present in the blood, nerves, and gut. Once they reach their destination, they stick to the body cells and disrupt the normal communication between the cells and the immune system.
Next, they create small openings between cells that connect to the intestines. As a result, you are bound to experience certain health problems like leaky gut syndrome. Other health issues that may be caused by this tiny chemical include:
- Leaky gut syndrome
- Unexpected weight gain
Plants are aware that if you get sick eating them, you won’t be interested in consuming them again.
A Few Plants Are Still Safe for Consumption
This tiny protein is not found in all plants; some of them are free of this toxic chemical and are safe for humans and animals to eat. Also, plants generate another chemical known as polyphenols. This compound is very vital to our bodies. This means that there are plants that you should avoid completely, and some that are useful for your body.
So, how would you know the foods to avoid and the ones to eat? Here is how you can identify and avoid foods that are rich in lectin.
Stay clear of grains in your meals
– It’s shocking but it’s the truth that grains are not good for you. Many years ago, our ancestors had no means to process the grains; most of the foods that they ate come from hunting and gathering. Majority of grains contain toxic substances, so stay clear of them. If you can’t do without them, use white flour only. Avoid wheat flour completely.
Avoid beans and legumes
– Beans are known to contain even more harmful chemicals than grains, so avoid
them completely. Also, stay clear of lentils, peas, and other similar legumes. If you crave for these meals, ensure that you get rid of the toxic chemicals by preparing them in a pressure cooker.
– Squash, pumpkin, and zucchini are types of fruits, but their peels and seeds are not safe for consumption. Make sure that you remove them completely before you eat them.
– Nightshades include eggplants, potatoes, and tomatoes. They contain toxic substances in their seeds and peels. Get rid of the harmful chemicals by peeling and removing the seeds and then prepare them in a pressure cooker. Also, you can ferment them to eliminate the toxic substances.
Avoid free-range and corn-fed chickens
– There’s a difference between pasture-raised and free-range chickens. Corn fed to free-range animals contains lectins, a plant protein that’s harmful to your body.
Get rid of regular milk
– In Northern Europe, there was a time that a genetic mutation in cows was reported to produce plant-like protein. The mutated harmful chemical called Casein A1 is dangerous and can damage your pancreas and affect the normal functions of your immune system. Instead, southern Europe cow milk, buffalo milk or goats milk are preferred.
What to Remember
Always use a pressure cooker to prepare your meals – When preparing foods, such as tomatoes, potatoes, beans and other types of legumes; using pressure cooker helps reduce plants toxic substances.
Remove seeds and peels from your fruits and vegetables – Some of the fruits and vegetables seeds and peels are highly toxic. Peeling and deseeding your fruits and vegetables helps in reducing the number of toxic substances in your meals.
Choose white rice over brown rice – This is surprising but brown rice has been reported to contain more toxic chemicals compared to their counterpart, so avoid them.There are other ways to decrease the effects of lectin in your body aside from reducing what you intake. While this is still the primary suggestion, taking a supplement could also help. These reviews on Lectin Shield will give you a good idea of the effects it has on improving digestion of lectins. Furthermore, Pinterest has tips on Lectin Shield and cooking!
It’s safe for you to continue eating your favorite meals, but you are advised to reduce or get rid of the tiny plant proteins, lectin, found in your foods. Research the foods that you eat and remember to use a pressure cooker to cook them. Also, remember to peel and eliminate seeds from your fruits and vegetables, and choose white rice over brown rice.